Mark Wahlberg Thankful That Penny Marshall Urged Him to Act
Mark Wahlberg has credited director Penny Marshall with changing his life by convincing him to pursue acting. The "Departed" star spent time in prison for assault as a teen but he was determined to turn his life around after his release by becoming a rapper and a model.
Wahlberg admits he didn't consider a career in movies until Marshall pointed him in the right direction and cast him in her 1994 comedy "Renaissance Man". He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "When I sat down with her, I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."
Wahlberg won the role and went on to become a successful actor and producer.
More Mark Wahlberg News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie