Mark Wahlberg Thankful That Penny Marshall Urged Him to Act
Mark Wahlberg has credited director Penny Marshall with changing his life by convincing him to pursue acting. The "Departed" star spent time in prison for assault as a teen but he was determined to turn his life around after his release by becoming a rapper and a model.
Wahlberg admits he didn't consider a career in movies until Marshall pointed him in the right direction and cast him in her 1994 comedy "Renaissance Man". He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "When I sat down with her, I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."
Wahlberg won the role and went on to become a successful actor and producer.
More Mark Wahlberg News
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?