Mark Wahlberg Thankful That Penny Marshall Urged Him to Act
Mark Wahlberg has credited director Penny Marshall with changing his life by convincing him to pursue acting. The "Departed" star spent time in prison for assault as a teen but he was determined to turn his life around after his release by becoming a rapper and a model.
Wahlberg admits he didn't consider a career in movies until Marshall pointed him in the right direction and cast him in her 1994 comedy "Renaissance Man". He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "When I sat down with her, I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."
Wahlberg won the role and went on to become a successful actor and producer.
- Silver Sable and Black Cat Movie Rumored to Have Spider-Woman
- Scott Disick Spotted Flirting With Sofia Richie on Yacht in Cannes
- Jaden Smith Accuses Canadian Hotel of Spiking His Food
- Alex Rodriguez Signs Deal With ABC News as Contributor
- Joaquin Phoenix and Diane Kruger Win Best Actor and Actress at Cannes 2017
- Miranda Kerr Marries Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel in Backyard Ceremony
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'