Mark Wahlberg Thankful That Penny Marshall Urged Him to Act
Mark Wahlberg has credited director Penny Marshall with changing his life by convincing him to pursue acting. The "Departed" star spent time in prison for assault as a teen but he was determined to turn his life around after his release by becoming a rapper and a model.
Wahlberg admits he didn't consider a career in movies until Marshall pointed him in the right direction and cast him in her 1994 comedy "Renaissance Man". He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "When I sat down with her, I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."
Wahlberg won the role and went on to become a successful actor and producer.
More Mark Wahlberg News
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!