Mark Wahlberg Thankful That Penny Marshall Urged Him to Act
Mark Wahlberg has credited director Penny Marshall with changing his life by convincing him to pursue acting. The "Departed" star spent time in prison for assault as a teen but he was determined to turn his life around after his release by becoming a rapper and a model.
Wahlberg admits he didn't consider a career in movies until Marshall pointed him in the right direction and cast him in her 1994 comedy "Renaissance Man". He tells the Hollywood Reporter, "When I sat down with her, I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."
Wahlberg won the role and went on to become a successful actor and producer.
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'