Randy Quaid Blames Confiscated Passport for Skipping Another Hearing
Embattled actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi Quaid have missed yet another hearing in California after failing to show up at Santa Barbara Superior Court to face vandalism charges. The couple was due to appear before Judge Donna Geck on Tuesday, November 16 for an arraignment on felony counts stemming from an arrest in September, when they were accused of illegally squatting in a California home they once owned.
The Quaids have skipped their last three court hearings relating to the charges and are seeking asylum in Canada, insisting they fear for their welfare if they return to California. An arrest warrant was issued for Evi Quaid earlier this month, and now Judge Geck has activated a bench warrant for "Brokeback Mountain" star Randy too.
Randy Quaid's attorney, Robert Sanger, claimed his client was unable to attend the hearing because Canadian officials had confiscated his passport. But the judge refused to set a new court date in the case, telling Sanger, "Mr. Quaid has had multiple occasions to appear on this matter prior to his passport being taken."
The actor is waiting to hear whether his bid for refugee status in Canada has been accepted and is due to attend an immigration hearing on November 23. Evi Quaid can remain in Canada indefinitely because her father is a Canadian citizen.
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl