Randy Quaid Blames Confiscated Passport for Skipping Another Hearing
Embattled actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi Quaid have missed yet another hearing in California after failing to show up at Santa Barbara Superior Court to face vandalism charges. The couple was due to appear before Judge Donna Geck on Tuesday, November 16 for an arraignment on felony counts stemming from an arrest in September, when they were accused of illegally squatting in a California home they once owned.
The Quaids have skipped their last three court hearings relating to the charges and are seeking asylum in Canada, insisting they fear for their welfare if they return to California. An arrest warrant was issued for Evi Quaid earlier this month, and now Judge Geck has activated a bench warrant for "Brokeback Mountain" star Randy too.
Randy Quaid's attorney, Robert Sanger, claimed his client was unable to attend the hearing because Canadian officials had confiscated his passport. But the judge refused to set a new court date in the case, telling Sanger, "Mr. Quaid has had multiple occasions to appear on this matter prior to his passport being taken."
The actor is waiting to hear whether his bid for refugee status in Canada has been accepted and is due to attend an immigration hearing on November 23. Evi Quaid can remain in Canada indefinitely because her father is a Canadian citizen.
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video