Cutting Ties, Anti-Racism Group Tells Morrissey to 'Grow Up'
Executives at an anti-racism campaign group have officially axed ties with Morrissey and urged him to "grow up" after he branded the Chinese a "subspecies". The former The Smiths frontman provoked a storm earlier this month by blasting China's record on animal rights issues.
Describing the country's treatment of animals as "absolutely horrific", he added: "You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies." Now bosses at U.K.-based Love Music Hate Racism (LMHR) have confirmed they have cut all ties with Morrissey because his comments on the issue went "too far".
LMHR campaign spokesman Martin Smith says, "I think (our relationship with him has) gone now... I don't believe it's a mistake. I think it's conscious, and I think he's gone too far. In our organization, some of the bands have already met and talked about it, and we don't want to be associated with him. We feel it's not helpful to anybody."
"Of course, he could come out and make a clear denunciation, saying he didn't say it - he hasn't done that so far. And he hasn't contacted us to say he wants to distance himself from his statements. I think really he has to grow up at minimum."
In April 2008, Morrissey stepped in to save a LMHR concert in London by reportedly donating $42,000 to the event.
- Kelly Clarkson and Chance The Rapper to Perform at White House's Christmas Tree Lighting
- Kim Kardashian Files Complaint Against Vitalii Sediuk Over Attempted Ambush
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Debuts Burgeoning Bump While Shopping for Baby in London
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video