John Lennon's Murderer Planned to Kill Elizabeth Taylor and Johnny Carson
John Lennon's killer had Dame Elizabeth Taylor and beloved U.S. TV host Johnny Carson in his sights before deciding it would be easier to murder former The Beatles star instead. Mark David Chapman, who shot Lennon outside his New York home in 1980, made the revelations during a hearing with a parole board earlier this month.
Chapman was sentenced to 20-years-to-life behind bars but has been eligible for parole since 2000. He was denied his freedom for the sixth time on September 7 at a hearing, during which the 55 year old revealed Lennon wasn't his only target.
He said, "I had a list of people and he was at the top of the list, and he seemed more accessible to me..." He explained, "It wasn't about them, necessarily, it was just about me. It was all about me at the time... If it wasn't Lennon, it could have been someone else."
Chapman wanted to become famous for shooting a big star but his plan backfired - and he regrets the "horrible decision" because it only made him a murderer, according to the legal documents which were released on Thursday, September 16.
More John Lennon News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival