Oprah Winfrey's All-Inclusive Trip to Australia Angered Minister
Oprah Winfrey's decision to treat 300 fans with tickets for an all-inclusive trip to Australia has angered one of the country's top ministers - he's fuming the $2.7 million bill has landed on the tourism department. The TV titan delighted her audience members on Monday, September 13 by announcing they would be treated to a trip to Sydney in December to celebrate her 25th and final season of "The Oprah Winfrey Show".
The state of New South Wales and Australia's tourism department is paying the staggering $2.7 million bill for the jaunt, insisting the trip will lure a huge amount of visitors to their shores. Tourism Minister Martin Ferguson explains, "I think it's money well spent. This truly represents an amazing opportunity to showcase Australia, the warmth and hospitality of our people and the depth and breadth of everything our country has to offer visitors from around the world."
But his West Australian counterpart, Liz Constable, has reacted with fury at news of the massive bill, which she only found out about as it was announced earlier this week. She says, "I have spoken to the federal minister Martin Ferguson about this and expressed my disgust with the way Tourism Australia has handled this situation."
More Oprah Winfrey News
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones