Matthew Newton Returns to Rehab, Scrapping 'X Factor' Hosting Gig
Australian actor Matthew Newton has gone back into rehab - just three months after he was discharged from a treatment facility. The "Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities" star checked into a private hospital in Melbourne in April after he was accused of trashing a hotel room in the city where he was staying with his girlfriend, "Transformers" actress Rachael Taylor.
He left the center earlier this summer and subsequently opened up about his alcohol issues, describing himself as a "work in progress". The star was due to begin hosting the Australian version of singing contest "The X Factor" but he's pulled out to focus on his ongoing health issues.
A statement from bosses at Australia's Seven network reads: "Matthew had a strong commitment to the program - he has tried his utmost to make it work. He has the support of his family and close circle of friends as he works his way back to full health."
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones