Matthew Newton Returns to Rehab, Scrapping 'X Factor' Hosting Gig
Australian actor Matthew Newton has gone back into rehab - just three months after he was discharged from a treatment facility. The "Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities" star checked into a private hospital in Melbourne in April after he was accused of trashing a hotel room in the city where he was staying with his girlfriend, "Transformers" actress Rachael Taylor.
He left the center earlier this summer and subsequently opened up about his alcohol issues, describing himself as a "work in progress". The star was due to begin hosting the Australian version of singing contest "The X Factor" but he's pulled out to focus on his ongoing health issues.
A statement from bosses at Australia's Seven network reads: "Matthew had a strong commitment to the program - he has tried his utmost to make it work. He has the support of his family and close circle of friends as he works his way back to full health."
- Pictures of Pippa Middleton and James Matthews' Tropical Honeymoon Surface
- See Jason Momoa and Amber Heard Together for the First Time in 'Aquaman' Set Photo
- Heidi Klum Gets Back Together With Vito Schnabel After His Cheating Scandal
- Katy Perry Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction as She Flashes Her Underwear on Stage
- Eddie Vedder Delivers Emotional Tribute to Chris Cornell at Amsterdam Show
- Camilla Recalls 'Horrid' Time After Prince Charles Affair Was Revealed
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Sails to No. 1 at Box Office, 'Baywatch' Sinks
- Jealous Ryan Seacrest May Drop 'American Idol' Over Katy Perry's $25 Million Paycheck