Rip Torn Refuses Daughter's Yacht Party Invitation Because of the Free Alcohol Served
Sober actor Rip Torn declined an invitation to join his director daughter Angelica Torn at a movie yacht party because he refused to be tempted by the free alcohol served at the event. The "Men in Black" star, 79, hit the headlines earlier this year when he was accused of breaking into a Connecticut bank while drunk and carrying a loaded gun.
He is currently fighting a string of charges, including carrying a firearm while intoxicated, first-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief after he was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in the town of Salisbury. He told police he thought the building was his home.
Torn, who has subsequently pleaded not guilty to the counts, voluntarily checked himself into a rehabilitation facility in January after the incident to deal with his alleged alcohol issues. And he decided to stay away from a bash, thrown by Angelica to celebrate the DVD release of their movie "Lucky Days", aboard the vintage Mariner III yacht this week because he feared the sponsorship by Vision Vodka would threaten his attempts to stay sober.
And his daughter, from his marriage to his second wife, late actress Geraldine Page, is fully supportive of his efforts, reports the New York Post's gossip column Page Six. Angelica says, "He didn't want to put himself in that position, which we all respect."
Rip Torn is facing a mandatory minimum sentence of one year behind bars if he is found guilty for one of the more serious gun charges. The case is due to go to trial later this year.
- Kim Kardashian Says Goodbye to Barack Obama's Presidency With Throwback Pics
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?