Joe Elliott Complains About Def Leppard's Lack of Respect
Def Leppard star Joe Elliott has accused the music press of failing to give rock bands due credit - insisting his group deserves the same respect as stars such as Bono, Sir Paul McCartney and Morrissey. The singer claims music journalists fawn over big name stars such as the U2 frontman and the former The Beatles bassist, but often ridicule his band even though they have enjoyed comparable success.
And Elliott can't understand why Def Leppard aren't considered "cool". He tells Britain's Metro, "We don't get the credit we deserve in Britain... It's nice to walk down Oxford Street without being recognized but then again when music magazines write about us they take the p**s (ridicule us) because we're not as cool as Johnny Marr, who isn't as successful as us by a million miles. (British TV host) Jools Holland won't have us on his show because we're not cool enough."
"Rock's ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don't give rock its due... How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey's so why don't we get the same kind of respect?" he adds. "There are more people than Bono and Michael Stipe to put on the cover of a magazine... There are more musicians out there... Bands who have sold s**tloads of records, whether it be us or Depeche Mode, are becoming footnotes."
- Fragile Yoko Ono Is Hoping to See John Lennon in Heaven
- Beyhive Is on the Hunt for Beyonce's Secret Snapchat Account
- Lionel Richie Puts 'All the Hits Tour' on Hold Due to Knee Surgery
- Did Justin Bieber Just Hint That He's Dating Someone on Twitter?
- Perrie Edwards Sparks Pregnancy Speculation With Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?