Freed Roman Polanski to Film 'God of Carnage' in 2011
Roman Polanski will return to work on a big-screen adaptation of hit French play "God of Carnage" in his first job since he was released from house arrest in Switzerland. The "Rosemary's Baby" filmmaker regained his freedom on Monday, July 12 after Swiss officials turned down U.S. prosecutors' request to extradite him to be punished for a 33-year-old child sex case.
They had demanded the filmmaker be sent back to the States to face sentencing for having sex with a 13-year-old girl at a Hollywood party in 1977. He pleaded guilty to the offense but fled to Europe in 1978.
The U.S. extradition request was denied because Swiss authorities could not rule out the possibility that there was a "fault" in the case.
Polanski has been working with "God of Carnage" playwright Yasmina Reza since 2009 to adapt the play for film and she reveals they completed the script while he was under house arrest in Gstaad. According to Reza, the story location for the movie will be changed and set in New York, although Polanski plans to recreate the streets of Brooklyn in Europe.
Reza tells AFP, "The shoot is planned in early 2011. The location has not yet been chosen, but since Roman only has the right to go to Poland, Switzerland and France, there is a good chance the shoot will be close-by." She adds, "We had already talked about it before his arrest. The real work started when he was under house arrest in his chalet in Gstaad, where I went several times."
"We wrote the script of the film together. Then when we had finished, we gave it to someone to translate, because the action of the play will be transferred to Brooklyn and the film will be made in English."
"God of Carnage" has also been turned into a hit Broadway show and was named Best Play at the 2009 Tony Awards.
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?