Jay-Z Performing on Rooftop With Eminem Amid Security Fears
Jay-Z went ahead with an outdoor concert in New York on Monday, June 21 just days after the gig was axed amid security fears - the rapper moved the show and scaled down his performance in order to comply with city regulations. The hip-hop mogul had planned to pack the streets of midtown Manhattan with a surprise gig atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater during rush hour, as part of an appearance on the "Late Show with David Letterman".
But city officials refused to grant the star a permit to perform after word of the secret show leaked, and officials feared a mass turn out would bring chaos to the streets of the Big Apple. But Jay-Z refused to let the ruling damper his plans - he moved the show to the roof of the TV studio and allowed only 100 invited fans to watch him perform with his surprise guest Eminem.
A permit was not required for the re-jigged show, as the performance was held on private property, according to the New York Post. The decision to axe Jay-Z's gig on top of the Ed Sullivan Theater came just days after overcrowding led to the cancellation of a Drake gig in the city.
In another news, Jay-Z is facing legal action after allegedly failing to pay for flights on a private jet. Executives at Air Platinum Holding are suing Jay-Z - real name Shawn Carter - over claims he paid for just 37 of 55 hours of travel on the company's planes in 2009. They're demanding $81,000 for 18 hours of allegedly unpaid flight time.
The "Big Pimpin' " star has also been accused of failing to cover various other fees, including $24,200 for a luxury trip to England, a $12,2855 tax charge, $8,500 for catering on 17 flights within the U.S. and $3,000 for food on four international trips. Bosses are seeking $137,485 from Carter in total, reports TMZ.com.
More Jay-Z News
- 'The Walking Dead' Alternate Take on Negan Kills Leaks Online
- Michael Fassbender Reveals New Name of Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant', New Details Leak
- Kim Kardashian Drops Lawsuit After Tabloid Apologizes for Fake Robbery Claims
- Pharrell Releases Two New Songs From 'Hidden Figures' Soundtrack
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maureen McCormick Is Eliminated, Sharna Burgess Dances Through Injury
- Margot Robbie Close to Joining 'Peter Rabbit' Movie
- Suge Knight Accusing Dr. Dre of Hiring a Hitman to Kill Him
- Report: Cara Delevingne Is Dating Dakota Johnson