Damon Albarn Wants Lou Reed to Join Gorillaz
Damon Albarn wants to recruit The Velvet Underground rocker Lou Reed to join him on the Glastonbury stage this summer. The Blur frontman is set to headline the famed U.K. festival with his band Gorillaz after U2 pulled out of the slot due to singer Bono's back surgery.
He's hoping to pull off his most impressive Gorillaz set to date - by drafting in some of the artists who appeared on their latest album, including Reed, to sing at Glastonbury. Albarn says, "I just hope we can convince Lou Reed and he grasps that it's a real privilege to get the chance to do it. Then we'd have a complete house and that really would be amazing."
Gorillaz's "Plastic Beach", released in March, also features appearances from rappers Snoop Dogg, Kano and Mos Def, Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys, soul legend Bobby Womack, and The Clash rocker Mick Jones.
Albarn admits he's prepared for the experience to be completely different to his appearance at Glastonbury last year, where he headlined with the reformed Blur. He adds, "I'm not thinking for one second that I can compete with that kind of thing (a Blur set). This is something very separate and I wouldn't try to compare the two at all."
"Obviously it's a great shame for U2 that they can't do that. I know that they were really looking forward to playing that gig. They've never done Glastonbury. It's magic, Glastonbury. It's definitely magic in so many ways... I was surprised and a bit nervous (to be asked). I appreciate that it's a big deal but I think we can pull it off."
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman? WB Reportedly Plans His Exit
- Is Meek Mill Finally Ready to End Longtime Feud With Drake?
- This Transgender Performer Suggests She Had an Affair With Kanye West
- Block B's U-Kwon Tells a Fan She Looks Like Crap
- Louis Tomlinson Says His Mom's Dying Wish Was for Him to Reconcile With Zayn Malik