Damon Albarn Wants Lou Reed to Join Gorillaz
Damon Albarn wants to recruit The Velvet Underground rocker Lou Reed to join him on the Glastonbury stage this summer. The Blur frontman is set to headline the famed U.K. festival with his band Gorillaz after U2 pulled out of the slot due to singer Bono's back surgery.
He's hoping to pull off his most impressive Gorillaz set to date - by drafting in some of the artists who appeared on their latest album, including Reed, to sing at Glastonbury. Albarn says, "I just hope we can convince Lou Reed and he grasps that it's a real privilege to get the chance to do it. Then we'd have a complete house and that really would be amazing."
Gorillaz's "Plastic Beach", released in March, also features appearances from rappers Snoop Dogg, Kano and Mos Def, Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys, soul legend Bobby Womack, and The Clash rocker Mick Jones.
Albarn admits he's prepared for the experience to be completely different to his appearance at Glastonbury last year, where he headlined with the reformed Blur. He adds, "I'm not thinking for one second that I can compete with that kind of thing (a Blur set). This is something very separate and I wouldn't try to compare the two at all."
"Obviously it's a great shame for U2 that they can't do that. I know that they were really looking forward to playing that gig. They've never done Glastonbury. It's magic, Glastonbury. It's definitely magic in so many ways... I was surprised and a bit nervous (to be asked). I appreciate that it's a big deal but I think we can pull it off."
More Gorillaz News
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Seen for the First Time Since Military Enlistment - See the Pic
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Her Bum in Thong Bikini - See the Racy Pic
- Lily Collins Shares Cute Throwback Pic and Fans Just Can't Handle It
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 12 First Look: Tyra Banks Makes Debut as New Host
- PSY Proves He Hasn't Changed at All as He Shares Funny Childhood Photo
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Ample Cleavage as She Cuddles Up to Bryan Tanaka
- Paris Hilton Gushes Over Romance With Chris Zylka: 'I'm in a Serious Relationship'
- 'The Emoji Movie' Defeats 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in Social Media Buzz