Bret Michaels' Latest Condition Explained
Bret Michaels' doctor is stunned by the rocker's "sheer will to live" as he fights to recuperate from a brain haemorrhage last month. The Poison singer's publicists have warned fans the star is still in poor health and must undergo further testing, admitting the 47 year old is suffering "slurred speech and blurred vision".
He remains in a critical condition and is being supervised around the clock by medical staff in an intensive care unit. Michael's doctor, Joseph Zabramski, has now spoken out about the star's condition, revealing he is receiving treatment at the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona. The location was not previously revealed "due to the severity of his life-threatening condition, the instantaneous way in which the haemorrhage presented itself and respect for his family."
In a statement posted on Michaels' official website, the medic confirms: "There is no doubt that Mr. Michaels' condition is serious. We are treating the subarachnoid haemorrhage, which caused his severe cranial pain. Mr. Michaels will continue to undergo testing considering we have hit a few roadblocks including hyponatremia, severe cranial and back pain suffered from blood drainage, an emergency appendectomy performed a week earlier, and a lifelong history of Type 1 Diabetes."
And Dr. Zabramski has been left stunned by Michaels' attitude to his condition and his determination to battle through his health issues. He adds, "Bret's sheer will to live and fully recover is undeniable. He has an unbelievable fight in him and told me what kept him alive at the moment of the haemorrhage was that he 'did not want his family to wake up and see him lying unconscious in the middle of the floor.' It was a combination of Bret's fight to stay conscious during the haemorrhage and get to the emergency room and the immediate medical attention provided by our staff at Barrow that enabled us to stabilise his condition."
Michaels' representatives have announced there will be a press conference on Tuesday, May 4, during which doctors treating Michaels will "further explain his condition, treatment and prognosis."
- Drake Gets Eighth Week at Billboard 200's No. 1, RHCP Starts at No. 2
- Photos: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Hit the Beach in U.K. Joined by His Family
- Liv Tyler Jokes About Her 'Pointy and Giant' Baby Bump
- BET Awards 2016: Beyonce and Drake Dominate Winner List
- Muhammad Ali's Daughter Laila Gets Emotional While Honoring Her Late Father at 2016 BET Awards
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Recap: Does It Confirm Fan Theory About Jon's True Parentage?
- BET Awards 2016: Bryson Tiller and Drake Win More
- Jennifer Hudson Dresses as Prince in White Hooded Dress at 2016 BET Awards