Cameron Douglas Sentenced for Five Years in Jail on Drug Charges
Michael Douglas' actor son Cameron has been sentenced to five years in prison on drug charges. The 31 year old faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years behind bars after he was arrested in August 2009 following a drugs raid on his room at a New York City hotel.
He pleaded guilty to one count of methamphetamine possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of possession of heroin in January. Reports suggest the "It Runs In the Family" star had been plotting to move approximately $18,000-worth of crystal meth from California to New York to sell when an undercover informant alerted the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
In a letter urging the judge in the case to be lenient when sentencing his son, Michael Douglas called Cameron "a loving man" and "a thoughtful friend". Cameron's stepmother Catherine Zeta-Jones and grandfather Kirk Douglas also penned letters to Manhattan's Federal Court in New York in the hope of seeking a reduced sentence.
Michael Douglas' letter was originally kept private, but a judge last week ruled that it should be made public. In the heartfelt message, the proud father opened up about his son's troubles, insisting Cameron is now "sober" after a stint in rehab and has become a "wonderful young man".
Cameron Douglas has been detained at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York for the past eight months.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked