Cameron Douglas Sentenced for Five Years in Jail on Drug Charges
Michael Douglas' actor son Cameron has been sentenced to five years in prison on drug charges. The 31 year old faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years behind bars after he was arrested in August 2009 following a drugs raid on his room at a New York City hotel.
He pleaded guilty to one count of methamphetamine possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of possession of heroin in January. Reports suggest the "It Runs In the Family" star had been plotting to move approximately $18,000-worth of crystal meth from California to New York to sell when an undercover informant alerted the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
In a letter urging the judge in the case to be lenient when sentencing his son, Michael Douglas called Cameron "a loving man" and "a thoughtful friend". Cameron's stepmother Catherine Zeta-Jones and grandfather Kirk Douglas also penned letters to Manhattan's Federal Court in New York in the hope of seeking a reduced sentence.
Michael Douglas' letter was originally kept private, but a judge last week ruled that it should be made public. In the heartfelt message, the proud father opened up about his son's troubles, insisting Cameron is now "sober" after a stint in rehab and has become a "wonderful young man".
Cameron Douglas has been detained at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York for the past eight months.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation