Lee Daniels Chose British Actor to Play Martin Luther King Jr.
"Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels has turned to Britain while casting for his civil rights movie "Selma" - he's hired U.K. actor David Oyelowo to play iconic American Martin Luther King Jr. The Oscar-nominated filmmaker is turning his attentions to the U.S. civil rights movement of the 1960s, and will tell the story of the historic marches led by Luther King Jr. in Selma, Atlanta.
But rather than cast an American in the role, Daniels has opted for British TV actor Oyelowo, whose main film credits are "The Last King of Scotland" and "As You like It". Hugh Jackman is also signed to the film, playing state governor George Wallace, and in early March, Daniels admitted he was worried as he hadn't cast any of the film's other parts.
He said, "I feel like I'm caught up a little bit with that. I have to really start casting the movie because we're shooting it soon. The only person I've nailed in for sure is Hugh Jackman. It's all over the place."
- Report: Blake Shelon Is Hiding Shameful Family Secrets From Gwen Stefani
- Kim Kardashian Hits Back at Haters Over Her Unretouched Bikini Photos
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation