Lee Daniels Chose British Actor to Play Martin Luther King Jr.
"Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels has turned to Britain while casting for his civil rights movie "Selma" - he's hired U.K. actor David Oyelowo to play iconic American Martin Luther King Jr. The Oscar-nominated filmmaker is turning his attentions to the U.S. civil rights movement of the 1960s, and will tell the story of the historic marches led by Luther King Jr. in Selma, Atlanta.
But rather than cast an American in the role, Daniels has opted for British TV actor Oyelowo, whose main film credits are "The Last King of Scotland" and "As You like It". Hugh Jackman is also signed to the film, playing state governor George Wallace, and in early March, Daniels admitted he was worried as he hadn't cast any of the film's other parts.
He said, "I feel like I'm caught up a little bit with that. I have to really start casting the movie because we're shooting it soon. The only person I've nailed in for sure is Hugh Jackman. It's all over the place."
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors