EMI Drops Plan to Sell The Beatles' Favorite Recording Studio
Record label giant EMI has abandoned plans to sell The Beatles' favorite recording studio Abbey Road, following mass outcry from music fans across the globe. The Abbey Road recording facilities in North West London became synonymous with the Fab Four, with the band even naming their 1969 album after the building. The record's album cover shot shows the Beatles crossing the road outside.
Reports last week that revealed EMI bosses were selling the studios - also used by music greats including Michael Jackson, U2, Green Day and Pink Floyd - prompted outrage from music fans and artists who had used Abbey Road. Ex-Beatles Sir Paul McCartney called for the studios to be saved, while musical theater maestro Andrew Lloyd Webber showed interest in buying the building.
However, bosses at EMI, which is owned by private equity group Terra Firma, insist ownership will remain with the firm. A company spokesperson says, "EMI confirms that it is holding preliminary discussions for the revitalization of Abbey Road with interested and appropriate third parties. We believe that Abbey Road should remain in EMI's ownership. When Terra Firma acquired EMI in 2007, it made the preservation of Abbey Road a priority."
EMI bosses have welcomed reports architectural preservation body English Heritage plan to list Abbey Road, which would put a halt on any radical development plans to the site.
More The Beatles News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story