Leonardo DiCaprio Regrets Not Addressing River Phoenix
Leonardo DiCaprio regrets failing to introduce himself to River Phoenix at a Halloween party - because just hours after their chance encounter the young actor lost his life outside a Los Angeles nightclub. DiCaprio was at the beginning of his Hollywood career when he spied his longtime hero Phoenix at a party on October 31, 1993.
The "Titanic" star, who was 18 at the time, was desperate to corner his idol for a chat but didn't have time to approach Phoenix before he left the party. And DiCaprio will always remember the missed opportunity, because 23-year-old Phoenix collapsed and died from a drug overdose outside the Viper Room just hours later.
He tells Esquire magazine, "When I was eighteen, River Phoenix was far and away my hero. Think of all those early great performances - 'My Own Private Idaho', 'Stand by Me'. I always wanted to meet him."
"One night, I was at this Halloween party, and he passed me. He was beyond pale - he looked white. Before I got a chance to say hello, he was gone, driving off to the Viper Room, where he fell over and died."
More Leonardo DiCaprio News
- Adele Secretly Tied the Knot With Simon Konecki in Low-Key Ceremony at Home
- Demi Moore Is Set to Star as Mysterious Nurse on 'Empire' Season 4
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga Make Out in Front of Son Cairo and Other Kids
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Seen Together Again Entering a Hotel in Milan
- 'Godzilla: King of Monsters' Taps Kyle Chandler as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Father
- New 'Alien: Covenant' Photo Confirms James Franco's Casting
- Beyonce and Jay-Z 'Are in the Best Place in Their Marriage'
- Stephen King's 'Castle Rock' Adaptation From J.J. Abrams Gets Series Order at Hulu