Nina Dobrev Criticized by 'Vampire Diaries' Fans for Not Being Blonde
Actress Nina Dobrev has incurred the wrath of "The Vampire Diaries" fans - for sporting a different hair color to her character in the original book. The 21 year old plays lead Elena in the new U.S. series and was told by show executives to keep her hair brunette for the role.
But fans of the novels, penned by L. J. Smith, are in uproar - because Elena is a blonde in the books. Dobrev explains, "I couldn't go online because everyone was like, 'She's not a blonde, Elena's a blonde'. We had to change it because in the books Elena was a little bit more of a Queen Bee, the popular high school girl and it just didn't seem relatable to a lot of people."
"The creators just wanted to make her more of a girl-next-door, who you can root for. If you're not rooting for the main girl, then there's no point in watching. You need to love her, you can't hate her."
More The Vampire Diaries News
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood