Nina Dobrev Criticized by 'Vampire Diaries' Fans for Not Being Blonde
Actress Nina Dobrev has incurred the wrath of "The Vampire Diaries" fans - for sporting a different hair color to her character in the original book. The 21 year old plays lead Elena in the new U.S. series and was told by show executives to keep her hair brunette for the role.
But fans of the novels, penned by L. J. Smith, are in uproar - because Elena is a blonde in the books. Dobrev explains, "I couldn't go online because everyone was like, 'She's not a blonde, Elena's a blonde'. We had to change it because in the books Elena was a little bit more of a Queen Bee, the popular high school girl and it just didn't seem relatable to a lot of people."
"The creators just wanted to make her more of a girl-next-door, who you can root for. If you're not rooting for the main girl, then there's no point in watching. You need to love her, you can't hate her."
- Jaden and Willow Smith Want to Retire in 10 Years
- Nick Young Wants Chris Brown Out of Their Neighborhood: 'You're Making the Block Hot'
- New 'Jumanji' Film Adds Karen Gillan in Major Role
- Black Eyed Peas Remakes 'Where Is the Love' With Usher, Jaden Smith and More for Charity
- Emma Roberts Goes Topless for Mario Testino's Towel Series Shot
- Hot Mama! Bar Refaeli Flaunts Her Bikini Body Just Three Weeks After Giving Birth
- ABC Reveals Nick Viall as the Next Bachelor and Spoils the Result of His 'Paradise' Stint
- New 'Doctor Strange' Featurette Offers New Details About Ancient One, Mordo and Kaecilius