Nina Dobrev Criticized by 'Vampire Diaries' Fans for Not Being Blonde
Actress Nina Dobrev has incurred the wrath of "The Vampire Diaries" fans - for sporting a different hair color to her character in the original book. The 21 year old plays lead Elena in the new U.S. series and was told by show executives to keep her hair brunette for the role.
But fans of the novels, penned by L. J. Smith, are in uproar - because Elena is a blonde in the books. Dobrev explains, "I couldn't go online because everyone was like, 'She's not a blonde, Elena's a blonde'. We had to change it because in the books Elena was a little bit more of a Queen Bee, the popular high school girl and it just didn't seem relatable to a lot of people."
"The creators just wanted to make her more of a girl-next-door, who you can root for. If you're not rooting for the main girl, then there's no point in watching. You need to love her, you can't hate her."
More The Vampire Diaries News
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia