Jermaine Dupri Can't Believe Weezer Love His 'Drunken Song'
Jermaine Dupri was flattered when Weezer fell in love with his first rock track - because he recorded the song when he was drunk. The hip-hop producer wrote the anthem "Can't Stop Partying" for the band's album "Raditude", and admits he was nervous about submitting his rock debut to the "Buddy Holly" hitmakers.
But frontman Rivers Cuomo was delighted with the recording - even though Dupri was under the influence when he hit the studio. Dupri tells MTV.com, "I went in there one night drunk in the studio, and I made a rock record where I was playing the drums and singing this melody and I tracked (recorded) it. I said, 'This song would sound crazy if somebody took me seriously.' So I sent it to Weezer."
"I ain't know these guys (sic) or nothing. They hit me back and said, 'We love this song. We want to cut it.' I said, 'What? Get the f**k outta here.' I went to L.A. and met with Rivers, and we hit it off. They put my song on the album. That's, like, a first. A whole new explosion for me. I was really geeked (excited) on that."
And Dupri is hoping the collaboration will lead to further experimentation - because he usually throws away songs that aren't in his comfort zone. He adds, "This was a project that opened me to say, 'Jermaine, show people more of the other side of what you do'."
"I wrote songs, and I throw them songs away. I wrote so many records in the past, and I threw them away. Because I don't have any artists to give them to and they don't sound like none of my artists. I'll be like, 'I don't know about this'."
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen