Ian McKellen Slamming Sports World for Rejecting Openly Gay Athletes
Ian McKellen has slammed the sports world for failing to accept openly gay athletes, insisting many stars are too "afraid" to "come out". The openly homosexual "Lord of the Rings" actor is convinced many sports stars keep their sexuality secret, over fears they will face a negative backlash from fans if they are honest about their lifestyle.
And McKellen insists the sports industry needs to make some big changes to help homosexual athletes. He tells British radio station BBC Radio 5 Live, "When it comes to the business of simply being honest about who they are, some of them (sports stars) become little shrinking violets because they're afraid, probably, of being booed from the terraces, and that must be a horrible experience and shame on people who do it."
He adds, "But it ain't (sic) going to stop someone being a fantastic footballer because they're honest about their private lives, is it? I don't believe so and the world is changing and sport, I'm afraid, is very slow to catch up."
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video and Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo