Ian McKellen Slamming Sports World for Rejecting Openly Gay Athletes
Ian McKellen has slammed the sports world for failing to accept openly gay athletes, insisting many stars are too "afraid" to "come out". The openly homosexual "Lord of the Rings" actor is convinced many sports stars keep their sexuality secret, over fears they will face a negative backlash from fans if they are honest about their lifestyle.
And McKellen insists the sports industry needs to make some big changes to help homosexual athletes. He tells British radio station BBC Radio 5 Live, "When it comes to the business of simply being honest about who they are, some of them (sports stars) become little shrinking violets because they're afraid, probably, of being booed from the terraces, and that must be a horrible experience and shame on people who do it."
He adds, "But it ain't (sic) going to stop someone being a fantastic footballer because they're honest about their private lives, is it? I don't believe so and the world is changing and sport, I'm afraid, is very slow to catch up."
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism