Mel Gibson Recreates Ancient Dialect in New Viking Film
Mel Gibson is heading back in time again for a movie about 9th Century England - and he'll be recreating ancient dialect for the ambitious project. The movie star/director has wowed film fans with ancient Aramaic in "The Passion of The Christ" and "Mayan in Apocalypto", and now he's set to tackle old English and Norse as he fulfills his childhood dream.
He tells WENN, "The very first idea I ever had about making a film, and my first thought about being a filmmaker was when I was 16 years old and I wanted to make a Viking movie in old Norse, which I was studying at the time. It's odd because, at that age, that is a stupidly ridiculous idea... It was some romantic pipe dream but that was the first big, wacky epic idea I ever had."
But now the idea is taking shape and Gibson has called in dialect and language experts to help him perfect another lost language. He adds, "The English spoken in the film will be the English that would've been spoken back then and the old Norse will be whatever the 9th century had to offer."
"I'm going to give you real men. I want a Viking to scare you. I don't want a Viking to say, 'I'm gonna die widda sword in my hand!' I don't want to hear that... I want to see someone who I've never seen before speaking low guttural German, who scares the living s**t out of me."
More Mel Gibson News
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle