Mel Gibson Recreates Ancient Dialect in New Viking Film
Mel Gibson is heading back in time again for a movie about 9th Century England - and he'll be recreating ancient dialect for the ambitious project. The movie star/director has wowed film fans with ancient Aramaic in "The Passion of The Christ" and "Mayan in Apocalypto", and now he's set to tackle old English and Norse as he fulfills his childhood dream.
He tells WENN, "The very first idea I ever had about making a film, and my first thought about being a filmmaker was when I was 16 years old and I wanted to make a Viking movie in old Norse, which I was studying at the time. It's odd because, at that age, that is a stupidly ridiculous idea... It was some romantic pipe dream but that was the first big, wacky epic idea I ever had."
But now the idea is taking shape and Gibson has called in dialect and language experts to help him perfect another lost language. He adds, "The English spoken in the film will be the English that would've been spoken back then and the old Norse will be whatever the 9th century had to offer."
"I'm going to give you real men. I want a Viking to scare you. I don't want a Viking to say, 'I'm gonna die widda sword in my hand!' I don't want to hear that... I want to see someone who I've never seen before speaking low guttural German, who scares the living s**t out of me."
More Mel Gibson News
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video