Mel B Files for Divorce From Stephen Belafonte After 10 Years of Marriage
Mel B a.k.a. Melanie Brown has filed for divorce from husband of nearly 10 years, Stephen Belafonte. The "America's Got Talent" judge made the filing on Monday, March 20 at Los Angeles Superior Court, citing "irreconcilable differences."
In divorce papers obtained by Daily Mail, the former Spice Girl listed "joint custody" as she wanted to share responsibility of their 5-year-old daughter Madison. She also requested to terminate the court's ability to award spousal support.
According to PEOPLE, the 41-year-old and her producer husband separated last year on December 28. The couple was just months away from celebrating their 10-year wedding anniversary, having tied the knot in June 2007 after a whirlwind romance.
Rumors swirling several years ago that Stephen had physically abused her, but Mel denied the rumors in 2014. At the time, the former Scary Spice took to social media to say that her producer husband "would never lay a hand on [her]."
News of their divorce comes after the British pop star revealed that her father, Martin Brown, died of cancer. She had been estranged from her family for years due to their disapproval of her relationship with Stephen, but she reunited with her sister Danielle to be with their father in his final moments.
- Katy Perry and Ryan Phillippe Spotted Flirting During Elton John's Birthday Party
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Step Out for Romantic Dinner Amid Divorce Rumors
- 'Scandal' to Tackle Alt-Reality Theme in 100th Episode. Get the First Look!
- 'Punisher': New Set Photos Reveal Major Cast Addition
- Antonio Banderas Reveals Suffering From Heart Attack
- Harry Styles Teases First Solo Single and Books Release Date
- Liam Payne and Cheryl Welcome Baby Boy - See the Baby's Pic!
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'