Mick Jagger, Sting Among 200 Stars Who Urge Scotland to Stay in the U.K.
Mick Jagger and Sting are among 200 public figures who call for Scotland to stay in the U.K.
The British celebrities have signed a letter which was organized by a group called "Let's Stay Together", a group of people outside Scotland who don't have the rights to vote, urging Scottish voters to vote no in a historic referendum on September 18. Scotland has been in the union for 307 years.
In addition to the two names, other public figures who have signed the letter are Judi Dench and Stephen Hawking. Helena Bonham Carter, Olympic diver Tom Daley, Cliff Richard, Simon Cowell, Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Patrick Stewart also signed the petition.
"The decision on whether to leave our shared country is, of course, absolutely yours alone," the petition reads. "Nevertheless, that decision will have a huge effect on all of us in the United Kingdom. We want to let you know how very much we value our bonds of citizenship with you and to express our hope that you will vote to renew them. What unites us is much greater than what divides us."
A spokesperson for a group called "Yes Scotland" which supports Scotland's independence has also released a statement. "It's great to know that Scotland has so many friends and admirers, and we know they will all continue to be our friends and admirers after we vote Yes on September 18," the statement reads.
"We're sure that everyone who genuinely has Scotland's interests at heart will be delighted in future years to see a fairer and more prosperous Scotland emerge using the great opportunities of independence to grow our economy and make an even bigger contribution on the global stage," it continues.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story