Jon Voight Slams Penelope Cruz's Open Letter Condemning Israel
Jon Voight slams Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem who previously described Israel's actions against Palestinians in Gaza as "genocide." In an open letter written to The Hollywood Reporter on August 2, Jon says that the couple should "hang your heads in shame."
Jon writes, "My name is Jon Voight and I am more than angry, I am heartsick that people like Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem could incite anti-Semitism all over the world and are oblivious to the damage they have caused." He claims that Penelope and Javier are "obviously ignorant of the whole story of Israel's birth."
The "Ray Donovan" star additionally writes, "After years of trying to make peace, the wars they had to fight, being attacked by their enemies, and still being attacked, and finally after years of running into bomb shelters and having hundreds of civilians killed by suicide bombers, civilians being killed in their sleep, stabbed to pieces, finding enough is enough and finally retaliating, instead of my peers sticking up for the only democratic country in that region, they go and take out poison letters against them."
"I am asking all my peers who signed that poison letter against Israel to examine their motives," the 75-year-old actor continues, "Can you take back the fire of anti-Semitism that is raging all over the world now?"
Jon adds, "You should hang your heads in shame. You should all come forth with deep regrets for what you did, and ask forgiveness from the suffering people in Israel."
In late July, Penelope, Javier and other Spanish actors, directors and writers wrote an open letter to Europa Press, urging Israel to "lift the blockade, which the Gaza Strip has suffered for more than a decade" and "open border crossings to facilitate the mobility of the population, the entry of medical equipment, medicines and food."
Meanwhile, Jon's daughter, Angelina Jolie, recently shared her opinion about the situation in Gaza, saying, "I force myself to watch these news programs and to read the papers, but it hurts, and it's so deeply sad because there doesn't seem to be an answer for what we can do...If I knew what I could do or what I could say, to in some way to bring an end to this conflict or help with the cease fire, I would do it in a moment."
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?