Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem Write Open Letter Condemning Israel's Actions as 'Genocide'
Some celebrities have voiced their opinion over the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Penelope Cruz, her husband, Javier Bardem, and Spanish movie director Pedro Almodovar were among some Spanish stars who described Israel's actions against Palestinians in Gaza as "genocide."
Penelope, Javier, Pedro and other Spanish actors, directors and writers wrote an open letter to Spanish-language news wire Europa Press, "Gaza is living through horror these days, besieged and attacked by land, sea and air. Palestinians' homes are being destroyed, they are being denied water, electricity (and) free movement to their hospitals, schools and fields while the international community does nothing."
The group urged Israel to "lift the blockade, which the Gaza Strip has suffered for more than a decade." They also asked the country to "open border crossings to facilitate the mobility of the population, the entry of medical equipment, medicines and food."
Last week, Javier wrote a similar letter by himself for El Diario, "I am disgusted, embarrassed and hurt by so much injustice and murder. (The attacks are) difficult to understand and impossible to justify. These children are our children."
Meanwhile, Madonna expressed her opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict via Facebook on July 23. She posted a picture of flower arrangements and captioned it with, "These flowers are like the innocent children of Gaza! Who has a right to destroy them? No one!!! Cease fire! #peaceinthemiddleeast."
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her