Video: Stephen Colbert Pokes Fun at 'True Blood' Attack on Republicans
Stephen Colbert is apparently not amused by "True Blood" depiction of Republicans in its latest episode. On his Comedy Central show, the comedian expressed his outrage over the "transparent Hollywood attack on Republicans" on the HBO series.
"You hear that? A Republi-c-word-I-can't-say," Colbert said after playing a clip from the show's most recent episode in which some vampires crashed a Ted Cruz fundraiser. In the video, Kristin Bauer's Pam dressed up for the gala and said, "Oh my God, I am a Republic**t." Colbert further responded, " Well played, Hollywood, that's the most devastating critique of a political ideology since Karl Marx published Das Kapi-Taint."
Agreeing with Ben Shapiro who claimed that the entertainment industry could affect people's opinions on Ted Cruz, Colbert continued, "TV entertainment drives our political discourse. Remember, no one was talking about income inequality until the debut of '2 Broke Girls'."
He jokingly added, "But we should not be surprised at all that vampires are Democrats - after all, they scream when they see a cross."
Ted Cruz himself had previously slammed "True Blood" over the same episode. The U.S. Senator from Texas wrote on Facebook, "Sunday night, they aired a misogynist and profanity-ridden episode where Texas Republicans are murdered attending a 'Ted Cruz fundraiser'. Well, I'm sorry to have lost the vampire vote, but am astonished (and amused) that HBO is suggesting that hard-core leftists are blood-sucking fiends."
He added later in a tweet, "Now only a true politician could spin a vampire massacre into an allegation of Democratic voter fraud."
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3