Video: Stephen Colbert Pokes Fun at 'True Blood' Attack on Republicans
Stephen Colbert is apparently not amused by "True Blood" depiction of Republicans in its latest episode. On his Comedy Central show, the comedian expressed his outrage over the "transparent Hollywood attack on Republicans" on the HBO series.
"You hear that? A Republi-c-word-I-can't-say," Colbert said after playing a clip from the show's most recent episode in which some vampires crashed a Ted Cruz fundraiser. In the video, Kristin Bauer's Pam dressed up for the gala and said, "Oh my God, I am a Republic**t." Colbert further responded, " Well played, Hollywood, that's the most devastating critique of a political ideology since Karl Marx published Das Kapi-Taint."
Agreeing with Ben Shapiro who claimed that the entertainment industry could affect people's opinions on Ted Cruz, Colbert continued, "TV entertainment drives our political discourse. Remember, no one was talking about income inequality until the debut of '2 Broke Girls'."
He jokingly added, "But we should not be surprised at all that vampires are Democrats - after all, they scream when they see a cross."
Ted Cruz himself had previously slammed "True Blood" over the same episode. The U.S. Senator from Texas wrote on Facebook, "Sunday night, they aired a misogynist and profanity-ridden episode where Texas Republicans are murdered attending a 'Ted Cruz fundraiser'. Well, I'm sorry to have lost the vampire vote, but am astonished (and amused) that HBO is suggesting that hard-core leftists are blood-sucking fiends."
He added later in a tweet, "Now only a true politician could spin a vampire massacre into an allegation of Democratic voter fraud."
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?