Emma Watson Appointed as U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador
Emma Watson has been named a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The former "Harry Potter" star, who will serve as an advocate for HeForShe campaign which promotes gender equality, said in a statement that she was humbled to be a part of the mission.
"Being asked to serve as U.N. Women's Goodwill Ambassador is truly humbling," the statement read. "The chance to make a real difference is not an opportunity that everyone is given and is one I have no intention of taking lightly. Women's rights are something so inextricably linked with who I am, so deeply personal and rooted in my life, that I can't imagine an opportunity more exciting."
"We are thrilled and honored to work with Emma, whom we believe embodies the values of U.N. Women," said Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director, U.N. Women. "The engagement of young people is critical for the advancement of gender equality in the 21st century, and I am convinced that Emma's intellect and passion will enable U.N. Women's messages to reach the hearts and minds of young people globally."
The 24-year-old star, who recently graduated from Brown University with a degree in English Literature, previously promoted the importance of education to young women during her visits to Zambia and Bangladesh. In addition to the "Noah" actress, Nicole Kidman and HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha Mahidol of Thailand serve as Goodwill Ambassadors for U.N. Women.
U.N. Women's official site crashed after the news of Watson's new role broke out. "The exciting announcement of @EmWatson's appointment as our Goodwill Ambassador crashed our website! We apologize & hope to be back up soon," read a tweet from the organization.
More Emma Watson News
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown