Emma Watson Appointed as U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador
Emma Watson has been named a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The former "Harry Potter" star, who will serve as an advocate for HeForShe campaign which promotes gender equality, said in a statement that she was humbled to be a part of the mission.
"Being asked to serve as U.N. Women's Goodwill Ambassador is truly humbling," the statement read. "The chance to make a real difference is not an opportunity that everyone is given and is one I have no intention of taking lightly. Women's rights are something so inextricably linked with who I am, so deeply personal and rooted in my life, that I can't imagine an opportunity more exciting."
"We are thrilled and honored to work with Emma, whom we believe embodies the values of U.N. Women," said Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director, U.N. Women. "The engagement of young people is critical for the advancement of gender equality in the 21st century, and I am convinced that Emma's intellect and passion will enable U.N. Women's messages to reach the hearts and minds of young people globally."
The 24-year-old star, who recently graduated from Brown University with a degree in English Literature, previously promoted the importance of education to young women during her visits to Zambia and Bangladesh. In addition to the "Noah" actress, Nicole Kidman and HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha Mahidol of Thailand serve as Goodwill Ambassadors for U.N. Women.
U.N. Women's official site crashed after the news of Watson's new role broke out. "The exciting announcement of @EmWatson's appointment as our Goodwill Ambassador crashed our website! We apologize & hope to be back up soon," read a tweet from the organization.
More Emma Watson News
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video