Lawsuit Filed Over 'The Butterfly Effect' Profits
A decade after "The Butterfly Effect" made it to theaters, a lawsuit was filed over its profits. The production company Benderspink is suing FilmEngine, Highwire, Roulette, and Rhulen for owing shares of the film's profits.
The lawsuit, which was filed on Thursday, July 3, stated that the "interrelated film production companies" were to distribute 50 percent of the film's net profits to Benderspink in a 2003 agreement with FilmEngine. However, "for years the Defendants repeatedly assured Benderspink that the picture was still in the red, and therefore no payment was due or owing under the MOU."
Benderspink, which is owned by Chris Bender and J.C. Spink, is contesting after allegedly hearing from a third party in 2012 that the movie's distributor made a large payment to the production companies. Finding out that it had been "stonewalled," Benderspink received a report from FilmEngine "that indicated the Picture was not profitable." The company was also denied request for books and accounting records.
Benderspink is seeking 50 percent of FilmEngine and Roulette's net profits, claiming that the company has suffered damages in an amount subject to proof at trial. The full complaint can be read via THR.
The 2004 movie stars Ashton Kutcher as 20-year-old college student Evan Treborn who has the ability to travel back in time and change the present through the past. Made on a $13 million budget, the drama thriller grossed around $57 million at the U.S. box office alone.
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?