Lawsuit Filed Over 'The Butterfly Effect' Profits
A decade after "The Butterfly Effect" made it to theaters, a lawsuit was filed over its profits. The production company Benderspink is suing FilmEngine, Highwire, Roulette, and Rhulen for owing shares of the film's profits.
The lawsuit, which was filed on Thursday, July 3, stated that the "interrelated film production companies" were to distribute 50 percent of the film's net profits to Benderspink in a 2003 agreement with FilmEngine. However, "for years the Defendants repeatedly assured Benderspink that the picture was still in the red, and therefore no payment was due or owing under the MOU."
Benderspink, which is owned by Chris Bender and J.C. Spink, is contesting after allegedly hearing from a third party in 2012 that the movie's distributor made a large payment to the production companies. Finding out that it had been "stonewalled," Benderspink received a report from FilmEngine "that indicated the Picture was not profitable." The company was also denied request for books and accounting records.
Benderspink is seeking 50 percent of FilmEngine and Roulette's net profits, claiming that the company has suffered damages in an amount subject to proof at trial. The full complaint can be read via THR.
The 2004 movie stars Ashton Kutcher as 20-year-old college student Evan Treborn who has the ability to travel back in time and change the present through the past. Made on a $13 million budget, the drama thriller grossed around $57 million at the U.S. box office alone.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic