Guillermo del Toro: 'Pacific Rim' Animated Series Will Focus on Events Before the Movie
Following the commercial success of "Pacific Rim", Guillermo del Toro recently announced the movie sequel and has planned an animated series based on the 2013 sci-fi movie. In a new interview with Wall Street Journal, the filmmaker reveals the storyline for the upcoming TV show.
"We're formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route, but the series tackles the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train), but also cadets learning how to become pilots," he shares.
del Toro notes that the stories take place prior to events in the first movie, adding, "It gives you a little more depth into the background of certain characters that will appear in the second movie. So it's really expanding the material."
He hopes that with the planned movie sequel, the animated series and the comic book series, fans will "have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle." Asked where the TV show will land, he says, "We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks."
Meanwhile, "Pacific Rim 2" has been slated for April 7, 2017 release in 3D and IMAX theaters. del Toro says the second film will be "very different" from the first one. "I don't want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own," he teases. "They're very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle. But the tenor of the two movies will be quite different."
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame
- Blac Chyna Plans Plastic Surgery Makeover to Match Her Post-Baby Body
- Melania Trump 'Fixes' Her Hair as Donald Trump Tries to Hold Her Hand
- Bella Hadid Enjoys Dinner Date With Mystery Hunk in Rome and Leaves With Bouquet of Roses
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Are Denied Access to Party in France
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Having a Baby to Save 'Stormy' Marriage