Ryan Gosling Tried to Kick Out Rachel McAdams From 'The Notebook'
Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams might have a great chemistry on screen in the romantic movie "The Notebook", but the duo didn't really get along on the set. In a new interview with VH1 for the film's 10th anniversary, director Nick Cassavetes shared the story behind the scenes between the on-screen couple.
"Maybe I'm not supposed to tell this story, but they were really not getting along one day on set. Really not," he said. "And Ryan came to me, and there's 150 people standing in this big scene, and he says, 'Nick come here.' And he's doing a scene with Rachel and he says, 'Would you take her out of here and bring in another actress to read off camera with me?' I said, 'What?' He says, 'I can't. I can't do it with her. I'm just not getting anything from this.' "
"We went into a room with a producer; they started screaming and yelling at each other," he recalled. "I walked out. At that point I was smoking cigarettes. I smoked a cigarette and everybody came out like, 'All right let's do this.' And it got better after that. They had it out. I think Ryan respected her for standing up for her character and Rachel was happy to get that out in the open. The rest of the film wasn't smooth sailing, but it was smoother sailing."
The movie went on to gross over $115 million worldwide and become the 12th highest-grossing romantic drama film of all time. On top of that, Gosling and McAdams won multiple awards for their performance as a couple. They dated in real life a year after the movie but broke up in 2007. They briefly reconciled in 2008.
"God bless 'The Notebook'," Gosling told GQ in 2007. "It introduced me to one of the great loves of my life. But people do Rachel and me a disservice by assuming we were anything like the people in that movie. Rachel and my love story is a hell of a lot more romantic than that."
More Rachel McAdams News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show