Angelina Jolie Is Among Queen Elizabeth II's Birthday Honors List
Angelina Jolie received an honorary title from Queen Elizabeth II in London on Friday, June 13. The 39-year-old actress was made an honorary Dame Commander of the Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George for her extraordinary service to U.K. foreign policy.
Jolie happened to co-chair a global summit to end sexual violence in conflict in London this week. She was among the Queen's annual Birthday Honors list, which also saw Daniel Day-Lewis receiving knighthood, Dame Maggie Smith receiving a Companion of Honor order and Damian Lewis receiving an Order of the British Empire (OBE).
"To receive an honor related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to," Jolie said. "Working on PSVI and with survivors of rape is an honor in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine."
Jolie made contribution towards the British foreign policy in her campaign to end sexual violence. Working for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, she found Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative (PSVI) in the U.K. two years ago. As a foreign citizen Jolie cannot be addressed as Dame, but receives the award on an honorary basis.
More Angelina Jolie News
- Evan Rachel Wood Blasts Media Over Comments About Amber Heard's Bisexuality
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'