Angelina Jolie Is Among Queen Elizabeth II's Birthday Honors List
Angelina Jolie received an honorary title from Queen Elizabeth II in London on Friday, June 13. The 39-year-old actress was made an honorary Dame Commander of the Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George for her extraordinary service to U.K. foreign policy.
Jolie happened to co-chair a global summit to end sexual violence in conflict in London this week. She was among the Queen's annual Birthday Honors list, which also saw Daniel Day-Lewis receiving knighthood, Dame Maggie Smith receiving a Companion of Honor order and Damian Lewis receiving an Order of the British Empire (OBE).
"To receive an honor related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to," Jolie said. "Working on PSVI and with survivors of rape is an honor in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine."
Jolie made contribution towards the British foreign policy in her campaign to end sexual violence. Working for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, she found Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative (PSVI) in the U.K. two years ago. As a foreign citizen Jolie cannot be addressed as Dame, but receives the award on an honorary basis.
More Angelina Jolie News
- Ex-Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts 'Flirting' With Brooklyn Beckham at BRITs After-Party
- Scarlett Johansson to Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the Fifth Time
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Tropical Song 'Swalla' Ft. Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign
- Beyonce and Caitlyn Jenner React to Donald Trump's Anti-Transgender Policy
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Casts JD Pardo as Leading Man
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Casting Scoops: Simone Biles and Mr. T to Compete in Season 24
- Matt Reeves Is Officially Announced to Direct 'The Batman', Ben Affleck Reacts
- Robert De Niro Has a Blowout Fight With Wife Grace Hightower