'Harry Potter' Star Michael Gambon Tapped for 'The Casual Vacancy' Miniseries
The cast members of HBO/BBC's adaptation of J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy" have been announced. EW learns that Michael Gambon who plays Prof. Dumbledore in the final six "Harry Potter" films is set to play one of the key characters named Howard Mollison, the leader of the Parish Council in a quiet English village Pagford.
Keeley Hawes ("Line of Duty) stars as Samantha Mollison, Julia McKenzie ("Notes on a Scandal") as Shirley Mollison, Rory Kinnear ("Skyfall") as Barry Fairbrother, Simon McBurney ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy") as Colin "Chubby" Wall, Richard Glover ("Sightseers") as Simon Price, and Marie Chritchley ("In the Flesh") as Ruth Price.
Pagford is a seemingly idyllic English village whose history and quaintness are balanced only by its citizens' duplicitous nature. After the death of Councilor Barry Fairbrother, a war breaks out before the election for his successor takes place. Those running for a place soon find their darkest secrets revealed on the Parish Council online forum, ruining their campaign and leaving the election in turmoil.
Jonny Campbell ("In the Flesh") serves as a director for the three-part miniseries, while Sarah Phelps ("EastEnders) is tapped to write the script. Other cast members include Monica Dolan, Abigail Lawrie, Rufus Jones, Keeley Forsyth, and Michelle Austin. More will be announced soon as production is set to begin this summer.
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'