Report: Jared Leto Eyed for 'Dr. Strange'
As Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") confirms "Dr. Strange" directing gig, it's revealed that Jared Leto is eyed by Marvel to headline the pic. According to a scoop from Badass Digest, the Oscar winner is among the possible candidates to play Stephen Strange.
Unlike many other superheroes who gained their powers from super serum, gamma radiations or their alien roots, Strange got his from mystical origins. The arrogant and selfish surgeon seeks a conventional healing in Tibet after his hands were damaged in a car accident. He becomes a Sorcerer Supreme a.k.a. Marvel Universe's greatest protector against magical peril.
The character recently got a shout-out in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". Johnny Depp was previously linked to portray the former surgeon in the comic book adaptation, but the rumor was conflicted with denial.
Leto himself is fresh off his brilliant portrayal as a transgender woman in "Dallas Buyers Club", four years since his major role in "Mr. Nobody". He won Best Supporting Actor at the 86th annual Academy Awards this year. Of his next film, Leto once said, "I'm looking at scripts and reading scripts."
"Which is interesting because I didn't read scripts for years before 'Dallas Buyers Club'," he told the Associated Press. "But now you have opportunities to work with people that you really respect or admire, people whose work has been inspiring and influential."
The 30 Seconds to Mars frontman also dished on his interest to follow the likes of Ben Affleck who moved from acting to directing, "I think that would be really great. And when I have the right story to tell I'll certainly do that."
More Doctor Strange News
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance Lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle