Sam Smith Opens Up About Sexuality and Unrequited Love
Sam Smith talks about sexuality and love life in a candid interview with The Fader. The British singer-songwriter, who is openly gay, tells the magazine that his debut album "In the Lonely Hour" is actually about a man who does not love him back.
"I've never been in a relationship before," he says in the interview, which is published in the magazine's June/July issue. "I've only been in unrequited relationships where people haven't loved me back. I guess I'm a little bit attracted to that in a bad way."
" 'In the Lonely Hour' is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before. I've felt the bad things. And what's a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?" he adds.
"I told him about it recently, and obviously it was never going to go the way I wanted it to go, because he doesn't love me," he explains. "But it was good as a form of closure, to get it off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back."
"In the short time I've lived on this Earth, all I've seen are boxes. People put things in boxes; it makes it easier to digest information," the 22-year-old singer says of his sexual preference. "People say I'm the new Adele. Why is [my sexuality] a talking point? I'm singing, I'm making music, I'm performing my music - that's what should be the talking point. ... It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be an issue. It's always an issue."
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture
- Iggy Azalea and French Montana Are Pictured Kissing as a Source Confirms Their Relationship
- It's Official: 'Pretty Little Liars' to End With Season 7, 'Grimm' Canceled After 6 Seasons
- Red Band Trailer for 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' Sees Halle Berry as the Comedian's Bond Girl
- Watch Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Ooze Sexiness in 'Side to Side' Video