Sam Smith Opens Up About Sexuality and Unrequited Love
Sam Smith talks about sexuality and love life in a candid interview with The Fader. The British singer-songwriter, who is openly gay, tells the magazine that his debut album "In the Lonely Hour" is actually about a man who does not love him back.
"I've never been in a relationship before," he says in the interview, which is published in the magazine's June/July issue. "I've only been in unrequited relationships where people haven't loved me back. I guess I'm a little bit attracted to that in a bad way."
" 'In the Lonely Hour' is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before. I've felt the bad things. And what's a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?" he adds.
"I told him about it recently, and obviously it was never going to go the way I wanted it to go, because he doesn't love me," he explains. "But it was good as a form of closure, to get it off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back."
"In the short time I've lived on this Earth, all I've seen are boxes. People put things in boxes; it makes it easier to digest information," the 22-year-old singer says of his sexual preference. "People say I'm the new Adele. Why is [my sexuality] a talking point? I'm singing, I'm making music, I'm performing my music - that's what should be the talking point. ... It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be an issue. It's always an issue."
- Blake Shelton and Debra Messing Have Twitter Spat Over Donald Trump
- Watch Orlando Bloom Go Fanboy Over Girlfriend Katy Perry at the DNC
- Adele Brings Her Drag Impersonator Onstage During Seattle Show
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards
- Watch Katy Perry Rock the DNC With 'Rise' and 'Roar'