Sam Smith Opens Up About Sexuality and Unrequited Love
Sam Smith talks about sexuality and love life in a candid interview with The Fader. The British singer-songwriter, who is openly gay, tells the magazine that his debut album "In the Lonely Hour" is actually about a man who does not love him back.
"I've never been in a relationship before," he says in the interview, which is published in the magazine's June/July issue. "I've only been in unrequited relationships where people haven't loved me back. I guess I'm a little bit attracted to that in a bad way."
" 'In the Lonely Hour' is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before. I've felt the bad things. And what's a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?" he adds.
"I told him about it recently, and obviously it was never going to go the way I wanted it to go, because he doesn't love me," he explains. "But it was good as a form of closure, to get it off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back."
"In the short time I've lived on this Earth, all I've seen are boxes. People put things in boxes; it makes it easier to digest information," the 22-year-old singer says of his sexual preference. "People say I'm the new Adele. Why is [my sexuality] a talking point? I'm singing, I'm making music, I'm performing my music - that's what should be the talking point. ... It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be an issue. It's always an issue."
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'