Sam Smith Opens Up About Sexuality and Unrequited Love
Sam Smith talks about sexuality and love life in a candid interview with The Fader. The British singer-songwriter, who is openly gay, tells the magazine that his debut album "In the Lonely Hour" is actually about a man who does not love him back.
"I've never been in a relationship before," he says in the interview, which is published in the magazine's June/July issue. "I've only been in unrequited relationships where people haven't loved me back. I guess I'm a little bit attracted to that in a bad way."
" 'In the Lonely Hour' is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn't love me back. I think I'm over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn't felt love before. I've felt the bad things. And what's a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?" he adds.
"I told him about it recently, and obviously it was never going to go the way I wanted it to go, because he doesn't love me," he explains. "But it was good as a form of closure, to get it off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back."
"In the short time I've lived on this Earth, all I've seen are boxes. People put things in boxes; it makes it easier to digest information," the 22-year-old singer says of his sexual preference. "People say I'm the new Adele. Why is [my sexuality] a talking point? I'm singing, I'm making music, I'm performing my music - that's what should be the talking point. ... It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be an issue. It's always an issue."
More Sam Smith News
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child