Netflix to Bring 'Wet Hot American Summer' to Small Screen
"Wet Hot American Summer" could be revived more than 10 years since it was released in theaters. Netflix is reportedly nearing a deal with movie creators David Wain and Michael Showalter for a prequel series based on the cult comedy movie.
The streaming giant declined to comment on the report, but sources have confirmed it to The Hollywood Reporter after Variety broke the news. Words are, the all-star cast from the film will be brought back to play high school-age characters on the 10-episode prequel series despite the fact that the actors are now mostly in their 40s. They are not expected to appear in every episode and may shoot their scenes in just a few days.
Released in 2001, the "Wet Hot American Summer" movie revolves around the last day at a fictional Jewish summer camp in 1981. The Wain-directed pic featured then-rising stars namely Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Paul Rudd, Molly Shannon, Christopher Meloni, Elizabeth Banks, Michael Ian Black, Bradley Cooper and Amy Poehler.
The movie was a commercial and critical flop, grossing less than $300,000 in the U.S., but has become a cult favorite since it was released on DVD.
Back in 2011, Wain revealed he had an idea to make a sequel or prequel to the film, but it was rejected. "I told them we would be willing to do a new prequel teaser short for it and new interviews and new material but they were like, 'No, nobody buys it. Nobody cares,' " he said.
Following more speculations about whether or not there would be a follow-up to the comedy film, Wain explained in February 2012, "What I'm saying is we're writing the script and sort of making the initial preparations. No movie is a guarantee until it's in theaters. But we're at that stage of the process and we intend to make it. Can I guarantee that it's going to happen? Of course not."
Wain and Showalter will write the prequel series.
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Kylie Jenner Licks Khloe Kardashian's Chest in Saucy Pic for 'KUWTK' 10th Anniversary
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance
- ABC's 'Gong Show' Reboot Taps Tommy Maitland or Presumably Mike Myers in Disguise to Host