Video: Will Ferrell and RHCP's Chad Smith Engage in Drum-Off on 'Jimmy Fallon'
Will Ferrell and Chad Smith were engaged in a mock feud and settled it in a drum-off on NBC's "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon". The "Anchorman" funnyman and the Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer donned similar outfits, black leather jackets, T-shirts, sneakers, and baseball caps worn backwards.
They got behind their respective drum kits and went back and forth with beats raising the intensity and complexity with each round. "That was cute," Ferrell said after Smith's impressive showcase. "Do you play for the Lukewarm Chili Peppers?" The actor might not be a professional drummer, but he got Questlove acting as his ghost drummer. He had secret weapons too, a cowbell and the rest of RHCP members singing Blue Oyster Cult's classic "Don't Fear the Reaper".
Before taking the stage for the epic battle, the lookalike duo sat down for a brief chat with Jimmy Fallon. They talked about the history of their dispute, each speaking as the other person. "I can feel the heat coming off of your bodies - the anger, the pent up rage and confusion," the host said to his guests.
"Do you remember where you were when you heard [about this imposter]?" Fallon asked, to which Ferrell replied, "Yeah. I was jamming. I was jammin' with the Chili Peppers, with my guys. At our jamhouse. I'm like, 'Flea, this is bull. I'm tired of not getting enough respect as Chad Smith.' " He added, "I'll be honest, I'm a little high right now," before taking a swig of "Chad Smith Go Juice."
The topic of their resemblance actually came up when Ferrell took part in "Ask Me Anything" chat on Reddit earlier this year, and a fan noted his resemblance to the drummer. "It has been acknowledged many times that myself and Chad Smith, drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, share a resemblance to each other," the actor wrote at the time. "A lot of people think that it's me playing for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But that would be an insult to Chad Smith. The truth of the matter is there is no Will Ferrell. Only Chad Smith."
In his response, Smith agreed to face off Ferrell in a drum-off for charity. Ferrell was raising money for Cancer for College, while Smith was supporting Little Kids Rock. "I'm all for it. But unless Will's been practicing or is secretly a crazy, wild drummer, I think it'll be evident right off the bat who the real Chad Smith is," the rocker said. "I'm ready to take him down."
More The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?