Joan Rivers Won't Apologize for Her Hurtful Joke About Ariel Castro Kidnaping Victims
Joan Rivers refuses to apologize for making a hurtful joke about Ariel Castro kidnaping victims who were held captive and abused for years at a house in Cleveland. The comedienne made comment, which compared living in her daughter's guest room to the women's situation, when appearing on "Today" show, but she insists that it was just a joke.
In an interview with The Plain Dealer, she said, "I'm a comedienne. I know what those girls went through. It was a little, stupid joke. There is nothing to apologize for. I made a joke. That's what I do. Calm down. Calm f------ down. I'm a comedienne. They're free, so let's move on." The controversial star also said that she was happy that the victims were OK, adding that media should "stop writing about my stupidity" and worry about government leaders instead.
Rivers made appearance in Tuesday, April 22 episode of "Today" show and talked about living arrangement on her show, "Joan and Melissa: Joan Knows Best?". She commented, "Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more room."
The attorneys for two of the victims Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry slammed the "Fashion Police" star for the insensitive comment. "Our clients have become aware of Joan Rivers' unfortunate comparison of living in her daughter's guest room to their captivity," James Wooley and Heather Kimmel said in a statement on Wednesday.
"We understand that Ms. Rivers is a comedienne; however, the idea that a celebrity would say something this hurtful, on national television, no less, is beyond shocking and disappointing," they continued. "Our clients are strong, private women who have endured unwanted and often painful media attention for quite some time. They now have to endure this, which is a new low, and we believe a sincere apology is warranted."
Last year, DeJesus, Berry and another woman Michelle Knight escaped from the Cleveland house where they were kept. Castro committed suicide after he was sentenced to life in prison, plus 1,000 years for his actions.
- See Black Lightning in Costume in First Look of The CW's New Series
- Kim Kardashian Channels Kris Jenner for a Sexy Photoshoot - Check Out Her Wild Look!
- 'The Mindy Project' Renewed for Sixth and Final Season on Hulu
- Rob Kardashian 'Fears' Blac Chyna Will Come for Him After Calling Out Tyga
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage