Roberto Orci Eying 'Star Trek 3' as His Directorial Debut
Roberto Orci is lobbying to direct "Star Trek 3", which he is scripting with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne. According to a scoop from Variety, producer J.J. Abrams who leaves directing seat to helm "Star Wars Episode 7" already gave his blessing for the writer to be at the helm.
Orci has been working in tandem with Alex Kurtzman, writing a number of Hollywood tentpole projects including "Mission: Impossible 3", the first two "Transformers" films, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2", the previous two "Star Trek" movies, and "The Amazing Spider-Man 3".
Now the writing and producing duo is reportedly splitting on the movie side to allow them to pursue separate feature careers as directors. However, the two who launched TV producing company K/O Paper Products in 2009 will remain together as a team on the small-screen business.
If Orci lands the "Star Trek 3" deal, it will mark his directorial debut in a feature film. Kurtzman, meanwhile, is attached to direct "Amazing Spider-Man" spin-off, "Venom (2017)", which he wrote with Orci and Ed Solomon. Kurtzman previously helmed indie drama "People Like Us".
Kurtzman was initially tapped to pen the screenplay for "Star Trek 3" along with Orci, but he then opted to sit out the scripting duty for the third installment. McKay and Payne were later brought in to help Orci finish the job. Joe Cornish, who is currently working on Marvel's "Ant-Man", is among the candidates to direct the third "Star Trek" film.
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Nick Gets Surprise Visit From Ex Andi Dorfman After Hometown Dates
- Drake Gives a Birthday Shout Out to Rihanna During Concert
- She's 'Dying'! Cher Suffers From Mystery Illness
- Charlie Hunnam Is Facing His Destiny in 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword' Latest Epic Trailer
- Watch Lana Del Rey Fly to the Moon in 'Love' Music Video
- Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose Are Batman and Batgirl at Son's 4th Birthday Bash
- Back Together? Ellie Goulding Attends London Fashion Week Parties With Ex Dougie Poynter
- 'Supergirl' 2.14 Preview: Kara and Alex's Father Is Back