Katherine Heigl Brags About Herself in Lawsuit Against Drugstore Chain
Katherine Heigl opted to launch a lawsuit against Duane Rade for posting a "paparazzi" photo of her leaving one of the drugstore chain's branches in New York City. The 35-year-old actress claimed Duane Rade violated her rights by tweeting and posting the unauthorized photo on Facebook.
Back in March, Duane Rade tweeted a photo of Heigl carrying two Duane Rade bags with the tagline "Love a quick #DuaneReade run? Even @KatieHeigl can't resist shopping #NYC's favorite drugstore." She filed a lawsuit on Wednesday, April 9 in Manhattan Federal Court, seeking $6 million plus in damages.
"The Heigl photograph is a typical 'paparazzi' shot, depicting plaintiff walking on the street in New York City, in a private moment looking away from the camera," the lawsuit said. "Use of plaintiff's image under these circumstances improperly exploited plaintiff's name and likeness, as a celebrity, for defendant's commercial advertising and purposes of trade, without authorization."
She also bragged about herself in the lawsuit to indicate she did not pursue the money for her own use. "Plaintiff is a highly successful television and motion picture actress, producer and celebrity," the lawsuit stated, adding, "Plaintiff continues to be in high demand in the entertainment industry." It also boasted about the numbers of her name on Google search and her Twitter followers.
"We expect Duane Reade to pay for its willful misuse of Katherine Heigl's name and likeness," said her lawyer Peter Haviland. Any money recovered will go to her animal welfare charity, the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation.
More Katherine Heigl News
- Donald Glover Officially Cast as Young Lando Calrissian in 'Han Solo' Movie
- Perrie Edwards Was Left Homeless After Nasty Split From Zayn Malik
- Azealia Banks Pens Apology Letter to Zayn Malik
- Weird Al Turns Final Presidential Debate Into Song Called 'Bad Hombres, Nasty Women'
- Chris Pine and Gugu Mbatha-Raw Join the Cast of Disney's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Judge Approves Taylor Swift's Request to Seal Her Groping Photo
- Angelina Jolie Already 'Misses' Brad Pitt, Is Having 'Second Thoughts' About Divorce
- Watch Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn Parody Beyonce's 'Formation' Video