'Game of Thrones' Renewed Through Season 6
HBO has renewed its current most popular series, "Game of Thrones", for two more seasons. The fifth and sixth series have been commissioned following the site-crashing premiere of season 4.
"Raise a glass of Dornish wine," the renewal was announced on the series' Facebook page. "Game of Thrones is renewed for Seasons 5 and 6. Send a raven and spread the word across the realm."
Back in March, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss signed a new deal that will keep them on the lead of the day-to-day operation on the HBO series through season six. Benioff himself said that he planned to end the series after season 7. "It feels like this is the midpoint for us," he said. "If we're going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point."
The content of season 5 and 6 has not been revealed yet. The current season covers the second half of "A Storm of Swords" book. It remains to be seen whether the next two seasons will both cover the next book "A Feast for Crows" or chapter 6 will cover the series' fifth book, "A Dance with Dragons".
The new season pick-ups were inevitable as season 4 bowed to record numbers on Sunday, April 6. The first episode of the series pulled 6.6. million viewers and 2.6 million more after encore. The number exceeded last year's season premiere of 4.4 million and third series' 5.5 million viewing record.
Due to heavy demand for the first episode of "Game of Thrones" season 4, HBO Go crashed on Sunday night. The problem was fixed within hours.
More Game of Thrones News
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3