'Sam and Cat' Future in Limbo Amid Jennette McCurdy and Nickelodeon's Feud
"Sam & Cat" could wrap up sooner than later. The future of the show, which just premiered last June, is in limbo despite high ratings. According to Deadline, there has been real drama on the set as stars Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande are said tired working at the kids network and want to pursue more adult roles. They reportedly showed up late several times and emotions were running high on the set.
The rumor is further fueled with McCurdy's absence from the Kids' Choice Awards, where the show became a big winner. Explaining this on Twitter, McCurdy publicly accused Nickelodeon of unfair treatment.
She wrote, "I was put in an uncomfortable, compromising, unfair situation (many of you have guessed what it is) and I had to look out for me. I chose to not go because sticking up for what is right and what is fair is what my mom taught me is ALWAYS the most important thing."
She denied that her absence was due to an alleged feud with co-star Grande and insisted that it had nothing to do with her leaked racy pictures. "I want to thank those of you who have reached out with kind words of support, McCurdians and Arianators alike. No matter who or what you support, I believe in supporting fairness first," she added. "It has to do with how Nickelodeon treated me. That's all."
Nickelodeon previously gave a vote of confidence to the freshman series following its premiere which drew 4.2 million viewers, doubling the first season order from 20 to 40 episodes. The show posted its biggest audience so far during its hour-long January 18 episode.
The show is wrapping up production on its first season. In March, Nickelodeon programming president Russell Hicks expressed his confidence that the show would return for a second season, but Deadline reports that a renewal decision has not been made yet.
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?