'Sam and Cat' Future in Limbo Amid Jennette McCurdy and Nickelodeon's Feud
"Sam & Cat" could wrap up sooner than later. The future of the show, which just premiered last June, is in limbo despite high ratings. According to Deadline, there has been real drama on the set as stars Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande are said tired working at the kids network and want to pursue more adult roles. They reportedly showed up late several times and emotions were running high on the set.
The rumor is further fueled with McCurdy's absence from the Kids' Choice Awards, where the show became a big winner. Explaining this on Twitter, McCurdy publicly accused Nickelodeon of unfair treatment.
She wrote, "I was put in an uncomfortable, compromising, unfair situation (many of you have guessed what it is) and I had to look out for me. I chose to not go because sticking up for what is right and what is fair is what my mom taught me is ALWAYS the most important thing."
She denied that her absence was due to an alleged feud with co-star Grande and insisted that it had nothing to do with her leaked racy pictures. "I want to thank those of you who have reached out with kind words of support, McCurdians and Arianators alike. No matter who or what you support, I believe in supporting fairness first," she added. "It has to do with how Nickelodeon treated me. That's all."
Nickelodeon previously gave a vote of confidence to the freshman series following its premiere which drew 4.2 million viewers, doubling the first season order from 20 to 40 episodes. The show posted its biggest audience so far during its hour-long January 18 episode.
The show is wrapping up production on its first season. In March, Nickelodeon programming president Russell Hicks expressed his confidence that the show would return for a second season, but Deadline reports that a renewal decision has not been made yet.
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'
- Kylie Jenner Bounces Back After Suffering From Food Poisoning
- AFI Cancels 'Birth of a Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Rape Trial Controversy
- Britney Spears Reveals She 'Almost Drowned' in Hawaii
- Kate Gosselin Sends Son Collin Away to Get Help for 'Special Needs'
- Leslie Jones' Nude Photos and Personal Information Leaked After Her Website Got Hacked
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly