FOX's 'Gotham' Casts Its Future Riddler
"Gotham" has found its Riddler. The Batman prequel series has cast Cory Michael Smith in the role of Edward Nygma a.k.a. the future Riddler. He will guest star in the pilot with an option to expand into a recurring or regular role.
On the FOX upcoming series, Nygma is described as a brilliant but socially awkward forensic scientist who's working for Gotham PD with a penchant for speaking in rather cryptic language. Inquisitive, eccentric and outgoing, he is desperate to be liked.
Smith has a role in "Camp X-Ray" which also stars Kristen Stewart. He appeared in the Broadway production of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in 2013 and stars on upcoming HBO miniseries "Olive Kitteridge". He will also next be seen in "Carol" alongside Cate Blanchett.
"Gotham" will explore the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous. Benjamin McKenzie lands the lead role as Detective James Gordon, and Donal Logue plays Detective Harvey Bullock, the mentor of Det. Gordon.
Other stars cast for the show include David Mazouz as young Bruce Wayne, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot a.k.a. The Penguin, Sean Pertwee as Alfred Pennyworth, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/future Catwoman, and Jada Pinkett Smith as an original character named Fish Mooney.
The pilot is directed by Danny Cannon ("CSI: Crime Scene Investigation", "Nikita"), who also wrote the script along with "The Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller. FOX has not set a premiere date for the show, which has received a straight-to-series order.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation