Video: Piers Morgan Ends CNN's Show With Gun Control Plea
Piers Morgan once again showed his stand on gun control as he bid farewell to audience of his CNN show. At the end of the final "Piers Morgan Live", the former "America's Got Talent" judge delivered a short thank-you speech before sharing his thoughts on gun violence.
"I assumed that after 70 people were shot in a movie theater and then just a few months later 20 first-graders were murdered with an assault rifle in an elementary school, that the absurd gun laws in this country would change, but nothing has happened," he said, referring to the Aurora, Colo., theater shooting and the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.
He added, "The gun lobby in America, led by the NRA, has bullied this nation's politicians into cowardly silence. Even when 20 young children are blown away in their classrooms." He realized that his stance on the gun control debate had let him to be criticized for being "too loud" and "opiniated," but he "made no apology" for that.
He went straight forward with his point, saying, "More guns doesn't mean less crime, as the NRA repeatedly tries to tell you. It means more gun violence, more death and more profits for the gun manufacturers." Claiming that he's "so pro-American," he said, "I want more of you to stay alive."
"Now it's down to you. It is your country. These are your gun laws. And the senseless slaughter will only end when enough Americans stand together and cry, 'Enough!' I look forward to that day. I also look forward to seeing you all again soon," the 48-year-old British journalist said before concluding, "Thank you. And God bless America. Oh, and while I'm at it, God bless Great Britain too. Good night."
Before the final episode of his show aired, Morgan posted a similar message on his Twitter. "I leave with no regrets, many great memories, and one heartfelt hope -- that America sorts out its insane gun laws," he wrote earlier that day.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip