David Cassidy Sentenced to Rehab and Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
David Cassidy has been ordered by a judge to stay in rehab for three months and undergo probation for five years after he pled no contest to a drunk-driving charge. He is also slapped with fines and required to complete a nine-month alcohol education program.
The former teen idol, now 63, was arrested by a California Highway Patrol officer last January for making an illegal turn while exiting the 405 freeway in Los Angeles. He allegedly had a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit, blowing a .19 into breathalyzer.
Back then, Cassidy's manager insisted that his client's drinking was the result of stressful questioning he had just undergone during depositions by Sony Pictures Television about a legal dispute regarding the profits of his 1970s sitcom "Partridge Family".
"It appears as if the pressure led to a brief relapse. He was on his way to the airport to return to his home in Florida and to transitional rehabilitation. He plans now to return to rehab in an undisclosed facility," his lawyer explained.
In a statement to TMZ after his sentencing, Cassidy's rep said the actor had already checked into an inpatient rehab facility and the judge would be giving him credit for the 102 days he's served. He's expected to be moved into a monitored outpatient program early next month. "David is very committed to his sobriety," the rep said.
Cassidy was previously popped for DUI in Florida in November 2010 and in upstate New York in August 2013. The DUI case in New York was reduced from a felony to misdemeanour earlier this month.
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'