First Look at The Rock in 'Hercules: The Thracian Wars'
The first official images of "Hercules: The Thracian Wars" have arrived online via USA Today. They give a first look at Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the titular demi-God. One sees him in a battlefield, and the other shows him trying to free himself from the chains on the wall.
"It's when Hercules breaks through the chains and becomes the demi-god he was born to be," The Rock said. "I was actually yelling with all the power I could muster, 'I am Hercules!' I gave it my all and made myself pass out every time we did it. But I honestly felt in that moment that I was born to play this role."
Based on a graphic novel of the same name, the movie is a revisionist take on the classic myth set in a grounded world where the supernatural does not exist. It will follow Hercules' journey as a mercenary. Directed by Brett Ratner, it is set to make its way out across the country on July 25.
According to The Rock, it took more than 3 hours to do the makeup with wig, wardrobe, and "real yak hair" for his beard. "It looked incredible, we had succeeded," the former pro wrestler said. "The No. 1 goal is to make the definitive version of Hercules. We know we're going to be under a microscope."
Last January, a Hercules film that told the origin story of Hercules was released. Unfortunately, the Kellan Lutz starrer tanked on box office, collecting only $44 million against a reported budget of $70 million. The Rock, however, is confident that his "passion-driven" project will perform better.
- Prince's Rep Addresses Jay-Z's Rumored $40 Million Offer for His Unreleased Music
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunner Bryan Fuller Departs the TV Series
- Kevin Hart Eyed to Play Santa Clause in Disney's 'Dashing Through the Snow'
- Kesha Previews 4 New Songs, Hopes to Release New Album 'Early Next Year'
- Are They Engaged? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Flaunt Matching Rings on Instagram
- Michael Phelps Secretly Weds Nicole Johnson
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video