Anita Baker on Arrest Warrant: 'I Feel Like I'm Being Terrorized'
Anita Baker has spoken up for the first time following an arrest warrant which was issued earlier this week in relation to a lawsuit launched by a company. Speaking to HipHollywood.com and The Insider, the veteran singer said, "I feel like I'm being terrorized."
In a phone conversation with Kevin Frazier on Friday, March 21, Baker said that she hired Ray A. Smith Painting and Decorating to repair water damage at her property in 2009. However, Baker said that she was not satisfied by the job after paying $60,000. She asked to company to redo the job, but they refused. Baker eventually finished the job herself.
The company filed a lawsuit against Baker in September 2010, alleging that she failed to pay them $15,000. The lawsuit was dropped after her lawyer threatened to counter-sue. They filed the lawsuit again, but Baker claimed they did not notify her.
The company told the court that they could not locate her. The court then issued a "substituted service" which allowed plaintiff's camp to post the new lawsuit on the door of her home. Baker said she knew nothing of this because she was on tour.
In the phone interview, the singer said that a relative told her about the warrant after watching the news on TV. "It's sinister to me, and I just don't know what to do with sinister," she said. As reported by the Associated Press, Baker's lawyer Jamal Hamood says he will file a motion to cancel the warrant.
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars