Kanye West Gets Probation, Community Service for Attacking Paparazzo
Kanye West got 24 months probation and 240 hours of community service for attacking a paparazzo. The 36-year-old rapper's lawyer pled no contest on his behalf to one misdemeanor count of battery against the photographer on Monday, March 17.
The case stemmed from an August incident where a shutterbug was trying to get a picture of West at Los Angeles International Airport. The paparazzo, named Daniel Ramos, filed a lawsuit against him in 2013.
"The lawsuit alleges that on July 19, 2013 Daniel was outside of the Tom Bradley Terminals International Arrivals at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on July 19, 2013, with a number of other professional photographers," Ramos' attorney Gloria Allred detailed the lawsuit in a statement after the verdict was reached.
"Daniel and the photographers were gathered on the sidewalk area in front of LAX to photograph celebrities who might emerge from the terminal. Mr. West exited the terminal and saw the gathered group of photographers. Daniel, who was standing about 10 feet away from Mr. West called out to him and said 'Kanye, can we talk to you, Kanye?' Daniel then said 'What's going on? Why can't we talk to you? I mean why?' Daniel asked Mr. West that question because one week earlier on July 12, 2013, Mr. West had shouted at photographers. 'Don't talk to me. I don't want to hear paparazzi talk to me or anybody I know.' "
"After hearing Daniel asked on July 19, why Mr. West would not speak to him, Mr. West stopped walking, put his bag down at his car and turned and spoke to Daniel. Then without warning or provocation, Mr. West suddenly attacked Daniel, punching him and attempting to wrestle Daniel's camera from his hands. Daniel held onto his camera and fell down onto his knees onto the paved sidewalk with enough force that he sustained injuries to his right hip, was in great pain, and had to be transported in an ambulance to the emergency room."
West was also sentenced to 24 sessions of a level-two anger management program. The rapper, who was not present at the court session, must turn himself in to the LAPD for a formal booking. His next hearing has been scheduled to take place on July 17 at 1:30 P.M.
More Kanye West News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation