Kim Novak's Appearance at the Oscars Sparks Twitter Jokes
Some Twitter users made mean comments following Kim Novak's appearance at the Oscars on Sunday, March 2. The 81-year-old actress, who is popular for her role in Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 movie "Vertigo", was accompanied by Matthew McConaughey to present a trophy for Best Animated Feature, which eventually went to "Frozen (2013)".
Novak caught people's attention due to apparent plastic surgeries she had on her face. "Kim Novak's face just won for 'Frozen'," a Twitter user wrote. "Ha! Kim Novak announcing 'Frozen!' #irony," another person tweeted. Donald Trump also commented on Novak's appearance, saying that she "should sue her plastic surgeon."
While some people ridiculed her appearance, other users came to her defense. Ronan Farrow said in a post, "Half the people being cruel about Kim Novak are ten years away from being Kim Novak." Another Twitter user wrote, "People making fun of Kim Novak on Twitter is why we can't have nice things."
Some people, meanwhile, pointed out that the pressure to stay young and beautiful contributed to her apparent cosmetic procedures. "Let's not joke about Kim Novak. Let's bemoan a culture that makes women especially feel that aging naturally is unacceptable. So much is lost," a person tweeted. "You don't mock women for trying to survive in a system that demands this of them," another person said.
Novak, who has battled cancer, mental illness and horse riding accidents, talked about being beautiful in an interview with FOX411 in 2012. "Sometimes [it's] a handicap, having people [judge] you only for the way you look, rather than for the way you think and feel about life. There are so many people who only look at the outside... If you stop and look at just the outside, that's unfortunate," she said.
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding