Pharrell 'Disappointed' by 'G I R L' Album Cover Controversy
Pharrell Williams received backlashes after fans accused him of being racist for excluding black women in the cover art of his upcoming album, "G I R L". The super producer reacted to the controversy when he called into Power 105.1's The Breakfast Club morning show on Thursday, February 27.
"You know what really disappointed me is that, man, they jumped the gun," Pharrell said. "Because the one I'm standing the closest to is black. She's a black girl from like Wisconsin that I used to date like over ten years ago, or twelve years ago."
"And if they just bothered to listen to my album, they would know that my album was an ode to women, period. And the one thing that I'm trying to kill...The one thing I was just trying to help and aid in changing is this crazy statuesque standard of you gotta be white, waif and thin for you to be beautiful," he continued.
Pharrell also addressed the controversy in an interview with TheYBF.com. He said that black women had important roles in his life. "I'm standing by a black woman. My business is run by a black woman... I'm married to a black woman. I'm confused. I guess once you get the album you will look inside and see she's a black woman," he explained.
He went on revealing that the ladies in the cover were not models, saying, "And here I am trying to put ordinary, beautiful girls on the cover...not no models. I didn't go to 29 agencies looking for runway models."
More Pharrell Williams News
- Ex-Pussycat Doll Ashley Roberts 'Flirting' With Brooklyn Beckham at BRITs After-Party
- Scarlett Johansson to Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the Fifth Time
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Tropical Song 'Swalla' Ft. Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign
- Beyonce and Caitlyn Jenner React to Donald Trump's Anti-Transgender Policy
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Casts JD Pardo as Leading Man
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Casting Scoops: Simone Biles and Mr. T to Compete in Season 24
- Matt Reeves Is Officially Announced to Direct 'The Batman', Ben Affleck Reacts
- Robert De Niro Has a Blowout Fight With Wife Grace Hightower