Paula Deen Says She Feels Like 'That Black Football Player'
Paula Deen, who is rebuilding her career after racism controversy last year, graces the cover of People magazine's latest issue. In an interview featured in the magazine, the celebrity chef talks about her life following the scandal and her struggle to restart her business.
"I'm fighting to get my name back," she says, as quoted by USA Today. "I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out," she continues, referring to NFL prospect Michael Sam. "He (Sam) said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying."
Deen recently appeared at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival and was welcomed by her cheering fans. "If it wasn't for my fans' love, I'd be home breathing into a paper bag," Deen tells the magazine. "I used to have dreams that I lost everything. And when it finally happens, you think, 'I'm still alive.' "
In other news, Deen announced on Wednesday, February 26 that she would open a restaurant, Paula Deen's Kitchen, in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. As reported by the Associated Press, a new company which manages her business Paula Deen Ventures said that they poured $20 million for the project.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'