Paula Deen Says She Feels Like 'That Black Football Player'
Paula Deen, who is rebuilding her career after racism controversy last year, graces the cover of People magazine's latest issue. In an interview featured in the magazine, the celebrity chef talks about her life following the scandal and her struggle to restart her business.
"I'm fighting to get my name back," she says, as quoted by USA Today. "I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out," she continues, referring to NFL prospect Michael Sam. "He (Sam) said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying."
Deen recently appeared at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival and was welcomed by her cheering fans. "If it wasn't for my fans' love, I'd be home breathing into a paper bag," Deen tells the magazine. "I used to have dreams that I lost everything. And when it finally happens, you think, 'I'm still alive.' "
In other news, Deen announced on Wednesday, February 26 that she would open a restaurant, Paula Deen's Kitchen, in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. As reported by the Associated Press, a new company which manages her business Paula Deen Ventures said that they poured $20 million for the project.
- Lady Antebellum Will Make You Dance With Their Cover of JT's 'Can't Stop the Feeling!'
- 'Tallulah' Trailer: Ellen Page and Allison Janney Raise a Kidnapped Child
- 'Lost in Space' Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna's Baby's Sex Reportedly Revealed. A Boy or a Girl?
- Rihanna Previews 'Sledgehammer' Video Before Premiering It in Full in IMAX
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Surrogacy Plan for Baby No. 3 Opposed by Their Church
- Hard Work Pays Off! Kourtney Kardashian Displays Her Rock-Hard Abs in Sexy Bikini
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series