'House of Cards' Season 3 Production Delayed Amid Maryland Tax Credits Debate
"House of Cards" is holding off on beginning production for season 3. It has been reported that the show has delayed the shooting for the new installment until mid-June due to two bills involving TV production tax breaks which are being debated in the Maryland legislature.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the show's production company Media Rights Capital has sent a letter to Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, demanding $15 million in tax credits. They threaten to "break down our stage, sets and offices and set up in another state" if the state doesn't grant their wish.
"I wanted you to be aware that we are required to look at other states in which to film on the off chance that the legislation does not pass, or does not cover the amount of tax credits for which we would qualify," Media Rights Capital senior vice president Charlie Goldstein writes in the letter.
The show received $11 million in credits for season 1 and about $15 million for season 2. The state has spent more than $40 million to reward movie and television production companies that film there, but Maryland's current cap is now $7.5 million, making it impossible for Maryland economic development officials to meet the request of "House of Cards" production company.
State lawmakers have not yet agreed to increase the $7.5 million in tax credits the state allocates annually for film and television projects. Two bills that would increase the ceiling to $11 million or $18.5 million are currently in committee.
Filming for season 3 of the Netflix political drama series was initially scheduled to begin in early spring.
- George and Amal Clooney Are 'Having a Blast Coming Up With Baby Names'
- Topless Ariel Winter Shows Off Breast Reduction Scars in New Unretouched Pics
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date