'House of Cards' Season 3 Production Delayed Amid Maryland Tax Credits Debate
"House of Cards" is holding off on beginning production for season 3. It has been reported that the show has delayed the shooting for the new installment until mid-June due to two bills involving TV production tax breaks which are being debated in the Maryland legislature.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the show's production company Media Rights Capital has sent a letter to Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, demanding $15 million in tax credits. They threaten to "break down our stage, sets and offices and set up in another state" if the state doesn't grant their wish.
"I wanted you to be aware that we are required to look at other states in which to film on the off chance that the legislation does not pass, or does not cover the amount of tax credits for which we would qualify," Media Rights Capital senior vice president Charlie Goldstein writes in the letter.
The show received $11 million in credits for season 1 and about $15 million for season 2. The state has spent more than $40 million to reward movie and television production companies that film there, but Maryland's current cap is now $7.5 million, making it impossible for Maryland economic development officials to meet the request of "House of Cards" production company.
State lawmakers have not yet agreed to increase the $7.5 million in tax credits the state allocates annually for film and television projects. Two bills that would increase the ceiling to $11 million or $18.5 million are currently in committee.
Filming for season 3 of the Netflix political drama series was initially scheduled to begin in early spring.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival